How to choose this product
A ships computer contains suitable programs for carrying out a multitude of shipboard tasks.
Maritime computer programs are many and varied, including:
- Management of onboard electrical and alarm systems
- Fuel management
- Routing and weather tracking
- Navigation and positioning
- Cargo management and vessel stability (liquid, container or other cargo)
- Communications (telephony, Internet, fax, etc.)
Specific functions and particular needs can be handled by custom-designed programs.
Computers suited to the marine environment usually have an especially rugged housing. A solid state hard drive without moving parts may be chosen to reduce the chance of a breakdown. These machines may run on AC and/or DC current, with the possibility of switching from one to the other without loss of data.
How to choose
The rapidity of computer developments makes it advisable to choose a system incorporating the latest technology to avoid premature obsolescence.